Friday, June 29, 2018

Your Dad's Music

When I was in 7th grade, I can remember three events shaping my awareness and fondness for classic rock.

  1. The death of Jerry Garcia
  2. Woodstock '94
  3. Forrest Gump soundtrack
1. Jerry Garcia's death made me aware that the Grateful Dead actually existed. To that point, the only way I was able to associate the band with its music was the drug references on the song Casey Jones. We had a little record store in town named Sound Cellar. It was a store way ahead of its time. It sold records, incense, hacky-sacks, paraphernalia and most importantly - Grateful Dead shirts. It was a bit like a haunted house - you did not want to go in it because you weren't sure what was in there (or that you'd come out), but you had to see for yourself. It seemed like every kid had a Grateful Dead shirt. Every kid had one because they were cool. The artwork on those shirts still mesmerizes me. I wish I could have the same graphic designer do all of my school stuff. Anyway - I just remember Jerry Garcia's death set off a domino effect of tie-dye shirts and hemp necklaces. There was one rule - you had to know some Grateful Dead songs to actually wear the shirt to school. Being a poser was not tolerated or allowed socially. It wasn't so much about the Dead's music as it was looking the part. It was like my school had turned into Dazed and Confused (obligatory Alright, Alright).  

2. Woodstock '94 was huge (obviously not as huge as the original), but what made it huge was radio and MTV. It was everywhere. I have talked in previous posts about the rise in popularity of alternative rock and this was very evident at Woodstock '94. The larger point is that it brought into my existence the performers at the original Woodstock. I was curious. I was suddenly asking my mom to let me buy Led Zeppelin's IV and Jimi Hendrix CDs. I remember that we had a comprehensive social studies unit on the Vietnam War, but it was the music that got all the attention. I have always said that popular trends usually hit public schools a year or two after they have actually been trendy - well, this one happened to be 25 years in the making. 

3. The Forrest Gump soundtrack. A great movie with an even better soundtrack. It has sold over 6 million copies. It wasn't all heavy classic rock, but a nice mixture. It had Elvis, it had The Doors, it had The Beach Boys, it had Fleetwood Mac. Bands that I had not heard of, but began to explore. I'm sure there was a major resurgence in the soundtrack's featured artists’ album sales in 1994/1995 purely due to this soundtrack alone. A mini music-Renaissance. This soundtrack had me asking questions about the artists - namely from my dad. When I was in middle school, I rode to school with my dad every morning. It was not a long drive, but long enough for me to remember. We used to listen to Bob and Tom every morning on 92.3 out of Fort Wayne (when it would come in). Back then, Bob and Tom seemed to play more music - namely classic rock. Bob and Tom know their music. Whenever there was a segment that was inappropriate on Bob and Tom, my dad would jokingly ask me to cover my ears (I went through the motions). It then lead me to ask him questions about the songs and the artists - did you like them growing up and so on. 

I still listen to Bob and Tom every morning. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Benz and a Backpack

This "thing" changed my life and I remember it vividly. I was heading back to school fresh of off winter break. 2005 had just...