Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Sir Dave

Taking a break from writing about memories and albums to expand on a random thought I had during the middle of the night. By no means is it scholarly analysis, but certainly great conversation over a beer after work.

I've always been a Beatles fan. A very, surface level Beatles fan. I did not get into them heavily until college, but I knew many of their songs growing up. I mean, who didn't? I'm a huge fan of their psychedelic years. I admittedly get goosebumps when I turn on the Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band album and every external distraction around me immediately fades away. I feel a bit like Chuck Klosterman when I say the Beatles were ahead of their time. Duh!! Enough of stating obvious facts about the Beatles that the whole world knows. I'm writing now to talk about Sir Paul McCartney. For many, Paul McCartney is a god-like figure and rightfully so. He's had enormous success in whatever he's touched. Whether it be from the Beatles, Wings, and a successful solo career - Paul has been relevant in almost every decade since the 60s. When people see Paul they are immediately transformed to their youth listening to Beatles records. When The Beatles broke up in 1970, there was a huge void left in pop music. Paul filled that void for millions purely based on his love of music. As icons from that generation have come and gone - Paul has remained relevant with more than one musical venture. He receives genuine joy from creating art for others. He knows his significance, not based on popularity, but what his art has meant to people's lives. He could be a recluse quietly basking in his success, but he chooses to be present because he knows his work is important to people. When James Corden featured Paul McCartney on Carpool Karaoke it was one of the best moments I've ever seen. To see James get emotional talking about his dad and grandfather and their recollections of their favorite Beatles' songs is what this blog is all about. Music creates memories - ones that last a lifetime. You make connections based on the emotions tied to songs. Wherever he went, someone had a story relating to some moment in Paul's career. I watch that video over and over. It just brings me so much joy.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that my generation has a Paul McCartney. He may not be as accomplished as Sir Paul (plus he's not in his 70s), but he embodies all of the same qualities. That person for me is Dave Grohl. That's right, I'm comparing Dave Grohl to Paul McCartney. My reasoning mirrors many of the points in the paragraph above about Paul. Nirvana was one of the biggest bands of the 90s, if not a generation. When I think of alternative/grunge I immediately think of Pearl Jam and Nirvana. The band's run ended in 1994 after the death of Kurt Cobain - leaving a musical void for many. When I watched an interview with Dave on CBS Sunday Morning, Dave talks about how lost he was and then details the dark times that followed. He was heartbroken, to say the least. Dave knew that he had to continue to create music not only for himself but for those who felt the same as he did when Nirvana's run ended. Dave is being completely real and you feel it. You watch that segment and you see the genuineness in his answers and more importantly - the laughter coming out of the interviewer's mouth. Dave Grohl is a guy that I want to hang out with, not because he's a mega-famous rockstar, but he's a guy that understands his importance to others. He ends the interview on CBS Sunday morning with this quote, "I love music and I love life." From Nirvana to the Foo Fighters, Dave Grohl has been that bridge for my generation. When I see him or hear his work, I'm immediately transported in my memories just like those who grew up in the Beatles-era are with Paul McCartney. He's a link to Kurt, flannel, and that Seattle sound.

If the Queen of England were still in charge of America - I'm almost certain that Dave Grohl would be knighted, thus the title of this post - Sir Dave. Thank you, Dave Grohl, for not only making fantastic music but for being a fantastic person. I hope that one day I can hang with Dave and the Foo Fighters.

P.S. James - please do the Carpool Karaoke feature you did with Paul with many more musicians. It was incredibly powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Benz and a Backpack

This "thing" changed my life and I remember it vividly. I was heading back to school fresh of off winter break. 2005 had just...